Monday, January 16, 2012

Paving The Way

I'm currently reading a fiction novel titled Jewel about a child born with Down syndrome in Mississippi in the mid 1900's.  In the novel, the mother is told that the child is a "Mongolian Idiot" and should be institutionalized.  She refuses.  As any mother can imagine, I wept during that part of the novel.


As the day honoring the birth of Martin Luther King Jr. comes to a close, I want to share again my favorite quote.  It is my favorite of all time, not just my favorite of Dr. King's. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

I know men and women who have truly lived this quote.  Who are they?

  •   They are moms and dads. 
  •   Their children are no longer children.
  •   Their children were born at a time when medicine did not understand that nature and nurture     should not be opposite of each other in a versus situation. 
  •    Their children were diagnosed and written off as failures. 
  •    They were told things that were impossible for any doctor to know: 
    • Your child will never walk. 
    • Your child will never talk. 
    • Your child will die before the age of 2, 5, 10. 
    • Put your child in an institution because you do not have the tools to care for him. 
  •     They said "no, you will not take my child from me." 
  •    They said "no, you do not know what he can accomplish."
  •    They took their child home, loved him, taught him, and if the worst happened and the child died young, they mourned and never forgot.    
  •    They became advocates.  They knew that a brighter future was possible.
  •    They paved the way for Trent, other children, other moms, and me.   
How can I ever repay something like that?  Will promising to carry the torch be enough?  Because I do promise that. 

Although this love letter goes out to all parents that have paved the way, I especially want to thank those moms in our local support group.  While you are cooing over our small ones and remembering when your son or daughter was that small, I am standing in awe of what you have accomplished.  I am measuring you by where you stood at your moments of controversy and challenge, and I am deciding that you are one of my heroes.   Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Holly, I read your comments on my blog and truly smiled to myself, and then I read this and a tear rolled down my cheek as I thought about my grandparents, who *were* one of those couples in the mid 1900's who were told their child was an "imbecile" or the like. And my uncle WAS that little boy who proved every one of those stupid doctors WRONG.

    I can tell you for certain that what you're doing is enough. What you're doing is exactly what my grandparents would've wanted you to do. You're loving your child. You're raising awareness. You're walking the road they walked before you with your head held high. And I, I never met my uncle Tony, but I love him, and in his memory, I can't thank you enough for what YOU are doing.

    ReplyDelete