Saturday, June 15, 2019

Father's Day 2019

I watch Tony.

Since 2000, I watched him be a father. I watched him give Devon bottles after carefully swaddling him. And I watched him clap at Devon's award ceremonies and laugh at Devon's silliness. It was just us three until 2004 and there were hundreds of times I watched him love his son.

In 2004, I watched him learn how to change a girl baby's diaper. I watched him watch her getting her ears pierced, and I watched him pick out outfits for her. I watched him encourage a relationship between Layla and Devon, and I watched him guarantee fun family vacations in Tennessee and Florida. And many times, I watched him gently kiss their ouchies and say "All better?"

In 2008, I watched him take in the news that Trent had Down syndrome and needed open heart surgery. I watched him take my hands as I cried. I watched him support me when I struggled with breastfeeding. I watched him take Trent to therapies and practice those skills. I watched him become an even more involved father.

These days, I watch him gently wipe Trent's hands and face after a greasy hamburger. I watch him gaze at Trent with fierce love and protection. I watch him listen to Layla when she talks about fights with her friends. He knows how to empathize with her instead of rushing in to fix it. I watch him joke with Devon, both of them laughing at the same things. I watch him cook for our children, and I watch him help me with difficult conversations with the kids.

Tomorrow, I will watch Tony celebrate another Father's Day with the crappy gifts I struggled to choose. He will cook his own steak and shrimp because I'm a horrible cook. He will thank the kids and I for our gifts and smile that handsome smile. The kids and I will smile as well. How could we not?

No comments:

Post a Comment